Solved: Debit Memo

Pablo Francesca rshgeneral at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 16:49:47 EDT 2010

Well it looks like this problem is simpler than I had envisioned. Ideally I would like the customer report to list "Debit Memo" under the Type column. This appears to be impossible without editing the xml file (a posted invoice cannot be edited and it appears any invoice not created via New Invoice dialogue wont report properly).

However, even if the Type column does not indicate Debit Memo, this is still okay as long as the reporting is not broken and income is not inflated.

Well since those are my parameters, this can be done quite easily, just create a new invoice, note the memo field as debit memo and make the Income Account account a non-Income account. (Assets: Undeposited Funds).

Does this solve my problem? Yes, did it leave me temporarily confused? Yes.

This explanation is just for any other people whose brains get stuck like mine.  When you create an invoice it appears the debit part of the accounting transaction is handled at the end when the Question dialog pops up.  It is that field that determines what account is debited.  This explains why it is limited by default to A/R.  For some reason I had always assumed that this debit was taking place immediately after I filled out the New Invoice dialog.  The credit part of the transaction is handled by the account listed in the Income Account.  This explains why it allows you more freedom is assigning this credit entry.  Again I had always ignorantly assumed that this was handled by some process hidden from the user.

So in conclusion, creating an invoice does not automatically have any effect on income reporting, it will only effect income reporting if it is actually assigned to an Income account via the Income Account field.

So, just to be sure, I am understanding how Gnucash handles invoices correctly, am I not?