How do I represent a pension fund in Gnucash?

Leo Breebaart leo at lspace.org
Sun Mar 21 09:03:02 EDT 2010

This is more an accounting question than a Gnucash question, but
this forum is always so helpful, I hope people won't mind...

My employer pays a monthly contribution to a pension
investment fund in my name. Every year, I get a report on how
much money has been paid into the fund and what its current value
is.

I am wondering what the best Gnucash way is to track this
"external" pension fund. Should I make the fund an Asset and
treat the yearly delta's as Income? Or as Equity? Or some other
solution altogether? Or should I not track it at all until the
moment arrives when I'll actually be drawing real income from it?

--
Leo Breebaart  <leo at lspace.org>