Shutting Down

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 21 12:51:08 EDT 2010

On Mar 21, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>> I just tested it, and quitting with the "red-x circle" quits properly,
>> with both the currently-open file and preference settings properly
>> saved. (That was on Gnucash-Intel-2.2.9.4). Perhaps you're using Fink
>> or MacPorts with X11 instead of Quartz.
>
> That didn't work for me..  After a first run and setting up the
> data file for the first time, saving, exiting via the red circle,
> if I restart GnuCash then it doesn't bring up the data file.
>
> Using the most recent 2.2.9 off the website (Intel version).
>
>> The third way to quit is with Command-Q. Quitting from the Dock
>> doesn't work at present, though Force Quitting does -- but that *will*
>> lose any preference changes.
>
> I'm not sure I know what the Dock is...

Derek,

Interesting. Are you still using Tiger?

The Dock is the bar of application icons along the bottom of the screen. Control-clicking (or right-clicking, if you've got a polybuttoned mouse) on an icon will bring up a menu for the app, which if the app is running will include "Quit". That's what doesn't work. Pressing the Option key while the menu is displayed will change "Quit" to "Force Quit", which sends a SIGKILL to the app when selected.

Regards,
John Ralls