Error parsing file C\gnucash\output\test2010 after create

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:04:02 EDT 2010

On 23 March 2010 02:47, RaPquest <genericem at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Created a new checking account -> entered  a few transactions -> SAVEd file
> (ie register).
> When I tried to open gnucash got the error: There was an error parsing the
> file C:\XPEdisk\gnucash\output\test2010.
>
> ( C:\XPEdisk\gnucash\output\ is where the .log files are ...
>  test2010 is a left over from gnucash testing a few weeks ago )
>
> I had edited transactions in another account a few minutes previously and
> gnucash launched without a problem after that.

Looking back at this original message I think there has been some
confusion.  I see that you were not trying to save a new file, just
adding a new account to the original file (test2010) and saving it.
The problem is that when you open the file you get an error parsing
the file.

The xac files in the folder are the backup copies of your file.  If
you pick the latest of these (the name includes the date and time in
the form year month day hour min sec so you can see which is the
latest), make a copy and call it test2010 (no extension), or another
name if you prefer, and then open gnucash and open that file (it will
open it automatically if you call it test2010 as that is what it has
been trying to do all along).  This should get you back to the state
at the last save before the one that caused the problem, and you can
try again.

I hope that all makes sense.

As to why you are getting the parse error I don't know.  Others may
have a suggestion on this.

Colin L