Using Dark Theme - Reports are White on White

Snood snood at comcast.net
Mon May 3 14:24:34 EDT 2010

On 05/02/2010 11:28 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 03:20:02PM -0400, Snood wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a very minor issue for me in software that does a superb job
>> of meeting my accounting needs. The problem also has an easy
>> workaround, so -- if it is a bug -- it's most certainly a minor one.
>>
>> System SW Setup:
>>
>> Debian Squeeze (Testing)
>> GnuCash 2.2.9 from Debian main repository
>> Desktop Environment: Xfce 4.6.1
>>
>> Due to an issue with my eyesight / migraine syndrome I am trying to
>> use a dark theme, what Xfce calls the "dusk" appearance theme. All
>> GnuCash functions are intact with dialogs having taken on the black
>> background / white fonts and the register windows having kept their
>> normal striped appearance. (I use the transaction journal view.)
>>
>> The only downside to using GnuCash in this dark theme is that the
>> reports are apparently generated with white text on a white
>> background.
>
> [...]
>
>> The only other minor glitch in this dark theme is that the scheduled
>> transaction editor has slightly difficult-to-read color
>> combinations.
>>
>> I may eventually be able to affect one or both of these issues by
>> changing desktop environment settings, but I haven't had any luck as
>> of yet.
>
> try ~/.gtkrc-2.0.gnucash
>
> here is a sample:
> http://www.sfr-fresh.com/unix/privat/gnucash-2.3.12.tar.gz:a/gnucash-2.3.12/doc/gtkrc-2.0.gnucash
>
> I don't know how well it works, but maybe it will help.

I found what I needed. It's actually a choice on the General tab of the
Report Options dialog. There's a drop-down for Stylesheet that I missed
somehow. Pretty obvious, really. If I can't read the html output, one
would think I would check the Stylesheet option. But I just didn't see
it. Maybe partially because I might have expected that option to be on
the Display tab of the dialog.

For some reason the default setting produces white-on-white when using
the dark "Dusk" gtk theme. But both the Easy and the Technicolor
stylesheet choices in that drop-down produce usable reports on the screen.

As I said earlier, the printed reports were already just fine.

Thank you again for your response.

Regards,
Sam