Account layout for a personal business

gnucashid at database9.com gnucashid at database9.com
Sat May 1 16:18:36 EDT 2010

I don't have an accounting background so I'm having some trouble wrapping
my head around this.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  I have a very
small business with a home office and a few .  Many of my business expenses
are paid for with my personal credit cards or personal check.  I'd prefer
to use a single gnucash file so that I assign these expenses to their
appropriate business category as I receive them.  My initial thought was to
create an account hierarchy that's something like this:

Base Account
--+ Business
--+--+ Assets
--+--+ Equity
--+--+ Expenses
--+--+ Income
--+--+ Liability
--+ Personal
--+--+ Assets
--+--+ Equity
--+--+ Expenses
--+--+ Income
--+--+ Liability

The problem I found is that gnucash won't let me put equity, expense or
income account types in my placeholder accounts that I created for personal
and business.  Is this something I should be able to do?