Handling bank transfers from savings to checking

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 15:09:10 EDT 2010

Russell, Randy--

Russell-- I'll admit I didn't look at the article you linked to; I think you're missing some points within Gnucash.

It is my experience that the QFX importer does an admirable job of matching transactions that are already present in my Gnucash data file. I do what you describe on a regular basis, and import QFX files with transactions from one account to another within an institution, as well as for transactions between institutions, and pretty much without fail, these imported transactions are matched to the existing ones.

The first import creates the transaction; subsequent imports match to that first one. My process is reliable enough that the matcher even automatically chooses the right destination account most times (I am still, unfortunately, stuck with editing the descriptions to be human-readable).

I suspect that you are not allowing the matcher to do its thing--check first that the Bayesian matching preference is checked (somewhere in Preferences), and then work through your first import, making sure to modify transactions to reflect your accounts. Then, the next import should pick up most of your accounts automatically. And it should match the second import's transaction to the first.

HTH,
David