XAU

Frank H. Ellenberger f.ellenberger at online.de
Fri May 7 14:35:17 EDT 2010

Namaste,

Am Freitag, 7. Mai 2010 um 19:01:32 schrieb Divakar Ramachandran:
> Thanks. Actually I am interested in tracking my personal jewelery and
> stuff made of gold, silver etc, which I have added into Assets/Fixed
> Assets under Jewelry etc. I would like to track their monetary value as
> I do other stocks and mutual funds and have assigned the commodity as
> XAU. When I use the online fq update, it gets a number for XAU that is
> not related to what I want which is the cost of gold in the Indian
> market in Indian Rupees per gram, or other convertible unit of weight.
>
> So, when you say Gold was at a high of USD 1212, is this down loadable
> automatically in

a) GnuCash
yes, Tools->Security Editor
	enable "Show national currencies"
	expand CURRENCY,
	Select XAU,
	Edit->
		enable "Get Online Quotes",
		OK
	Close
Tools->Price Editor
	Get Quotes
	expand CURRENCY,
	expand XAU,
	There is an entry a most recent date e.g.
USD XAU 05/07/10 Finance::Quote last 1,210.100000
meaning the last price for 1 troy ounce (~31g) Gold was 1210.1 USD.

b) gnc-fq-dump?
It is also possible, to use this tool, but it is more for test purposes, e.g.
you get an error, when getting quotes because you had an typo in the symbol
of your security.

> And is there an option somewhere
> to get it in INR instead?

In which currency the the price is fetched depends on your LANG settings, see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_want_to_use_GnuCash_in_my_own_language
for details.

> Thanks,
> Divakar