Over riding the tax amounts on invoices

LateNight webdrop at gmail.com
Wed May 19 01:30:19 EDT 2010

I 'm giving up on the GnuCash invoicing module.

I am a consultant and often have reimbursable expenses which I flow through
to my client along with the taxes.  There are three tax issues that
complicate this and I cannot come up with a work arounds.  One is the fact
that we have PST which can throw things off of ratio.  PST will soon be gone
in British Columbia so I guess it will no longer be an issue very soon.

The second problem is that often the expenses are a meal or a hotel bill
where GST is not a consistent proportion of the bill.  On meals, the tip
throws the GST off and on hotel bills, there is often hotel tax that throws
the GST off.  I need a way to over ride the GST on the invoice for some
items and use the tax table for the rest.  Is there an easy way to do this
that I have missed?

The third issue is that the printed invoices do not indicate which unit
prices have tax included and those with tax excluded.  It can be quite
confusing to read if these lines are mixed on one invoice.  I might mix
these because I charge my time at a rate plus GST and then when I enter
reimbursable expenses, I might enter the total amount and allow Gnucash to
calc the GST.  I do this when there is PST because I can then just type the
total receipt amount and I use a factored tax rate in the tax table to calc
the proper GST when there is PST.

Any help appreciated.  It would sure be nice to find solutions and then I
could track paid and unpaid invoices within the software.

Right now I'm using Excel to prep invoices so that I can handle the taxes as
the situation requires.

Perhaps it is my accounting practices that need changing.  Any help
appreciated.
Thanks