Over riding the tax amounts on invoices

LateNight webdrop at gmail.com
Wed May 19 22:46:10 EDT 2010

>I'm not sure how PST throws anything off...
PST is charged on some stuff and not others.  It is charged on the pre-GST
amount.  Since Gnucash only handles one tax, the easy way is to enter the
total amount of the expense and then let Gnucash calculate the pre-GST
subtotal.  The other way is to manually calc the subtotal including PST then
use a slightly reduced GST rate that accounts for the PST in the subtotal
but manual calcs are a PITA and definitely not why I am using computer
software to do this task.  This feeds into my third issue where the invoice
doesn't show things consistently.  For example:

Item with tax included	1.00	$100.00	T	$95.24
Item with tax on top	1.00	$100.00	T	$100.00
  Subtotal 	$195.24
  GST Collected 	$9.76
  Amount Due 	$205.00

The 'T' in the invoice doesn't really help people understand why the numbers
don't pan out.  (Extended amount doesn't equal unit times qty.)  Without the
description that I put beside them in this example, most clients would be
confused by this invoice.  Even with the comment, the slower ones won't get
it.

>Use multiple line-items for the single charge so you can apply the tax
>table to part of it.
A functional solution that I had thought of however not very clean in the
eyes of the receiving client.  Also, I would rather not have to segregate
out liquor taxes and tips on these.  "Why poke the bear" as they say.

Thanks for responding derek.  Any other suggestions?  Is there a library of
other invoice layouts for Gnucash somewhere?