Over riding the tax amounts on invoices

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 20 12:43:00 EDT 2010

Hi,

LateNight <webdrop at gmail.com> writes:

>>I'm not sure how PST throws anything off...
> PST is charged on some stuff and not others.  It is charged on the pre-GST
> amount.  Since Gnucash only handles one tax, the easy way is to enter the
> total amount of the expense and then let Gnucash calculate the pre-GST

You're assuming that you can only put a single tax into a tax
table... And THAT is where you are wrong.  You can make a tax table that
has both PST and GST, so when you apply that tax table you get both.
I've described multiple times on this list how to do that.

Obviously, if you have multiple items that need to apply the taxes
differently then yes, you need multiple tax tables.

> subtotal.  The other way is to manually calc the subtotal including PST then
> use a slightly reduced GST rate that accounts for the PST in the subtotal
> but manual calcs are a PITA and definitely not why I am using computer
> software to do this task.  This feeds into my third issue where the invoice
> doesn't show things consistently.  For example:
>
> Item with tax included	1.00	$100.00	T	$95.24
> Item with tax on top	1.00	$100.00	T	$100.00
>   Subtotal 	$195.24
>   GST Collected 	$9.76
>   Amount Due 	$205.00
>
> The 'T' in the invoice doesn't really help people understand why the numbers
> don't pan out.  (Extended amount doesn't equal unit times qty.)  Without the
> description that I put beside them in this example, most clients would be
> confused by this invoice.  Even with the comment, the slower ones won't get
> it.

Yes, this is a limitation of the implementation.  Frankly, I never
imagined this case could exist!  TaxIncluded always seemed to be
locale-specific, not item-specific.  But you're certainly welcome to
extend the report and add a new column that describes the TaxableHow
setting for the entry.

>>Use multiple line-items for the single charge so you can apply the tax
>>table to part of it.
> A functional solution that I had thought of however not very clean in the
> eyes of the receiving client.  Also, I would rather not have to segregate
> out liquor taxes and tips on these.  "Why poke the bear" as they say.
>
> Thanks for responding derek.  Any other suggestions?  Is there a library of
> other invoice layouts for Gnucash somewhere?

Yes, the library is under Reports -> Business in the GnuCash
application.  (I.e., every report that has been donated has been
included in the distribution).