Using Reports

felix.karpfen at gmail.com felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue May 25 16:23:08 EDT 2010

On May 26, 2010 2:01am, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't understand your question.

And I found the answer to that question 10 minutes after sending the
posting :-( !
However, the supplied "sample outputs" did not help much.

Most of my problems got some sort of an answer when I discovered that:

a) The "Income Statement" report lists both income and expenditures; and
b) The content of the "Income Statement" can be tailored via routines
accessible from the "Options" menus.

I still find the "Options" menus extremely confusing. At various times I
have ended up with 3 different formats of the opening screen of "Options"

- one screen just asked to select the entries of interest from a single
column;
- a second screen gave 2 columns; desired entries could be moved from the
left column (which listed all available entries) to the right column (which
listed the entries that will be displayed on the report);
- a third screen gave one column for the entries and the option to use
a "filter" - with no advice on how to use the filter.

These different formats are probably closely related to the many different
reports that GnuCash can generate. In the absence of a "guided tour", I
have had to resort to "trial and error"; and I have lost track of all the
things that I tried.

The above is *not* a criticism of GnuCash. I consider that my discovery of
GnuCash is one of the best things that has happened to me in recent times.

Felix Karpfen