Reports with tax related accounts

Brendan Simon Brendan at BrendanSimon.com
Sat Nov 6 20:02:50 EDT 2010

I wish to generate various reports (e.g. income statement, balance
sheet, transaction report, account summary)
for to submit to my accountant to lodge end of year tax returns
(Australian Tax Return).

I have selected the Tax Related field for all accounts that are related
to my tax return (i.e. relevant to my account so they can prepare and
lodge the tax return).

Is there an easy way to select only the Tax Related accounts when
generating the reports ??

I have loads of sub accounts and it is very tedious to select my desired
accounts by hand, especially when using a track pad on a lap top where
it is easy to accidentally select the next account and cause the
previously selected accounts to be deselected :( (check boxes next to
the account names would be a more friendly user interface rather than
having to hold down modifier keys)

The gnucash docs say that the Tax Related attribute is used when
generating a Tax Report and exporting to a TXF file.  There is also
mention of form types or TXF codes.  I don't really know what these are
and whether they are relevant to Australian Tax ??

Are these international codes ??  Does anyone know if they are relevant
to the Australian Tax Office ??

Also, it seems that gnucash only generates an Income and Expense tax
report, but I also want to generate a balance sheet and other reports
for my accountant.  How do I do this _and_ use the Tax Related field to
select my accounts ??

Thanks, Brendan.