Expense Accounts

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Wed Nov 10 00:39:56 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 20:46 -0500, Dennis Powless wrote:
> I've noticed I will need many expense accounts for various loans and
> credit cards...
>
> Do I need a separate expense accounts for interest on each loan, and
> for finance charges for each credit card.  Or, for bank fees such as
> admin fees etc...
>
> I wondered if I could group them all into one or a few...

You can in principle separate as much as you like (I don't know if there
is a limit to the accounts tree in GC), but personally I would tuck them
a level deeper in the tree:
Expenses:Banking:Finance charge
Expenses:Banking:CC Fees
Etc.
Just to be able to easily get a total of charges, and to keep your
account tree a bit more organised. Or you could group them for
tax-deductible vs. non-deductible if that's applicable for you.

Wouter.