Opening Balances for Business Accounts

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 08:49:27 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Mick Kelly <mick.p.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Having just passed through the first stages of a manual double-entry
> bookkeeping course, I'd now like to develop with Gnucash. To get me started,
> can some kind soul instruct me how to make a statement of opening balances
> for a theoretical client, Smiths the Carpenters? The accounts to include
> are:

When you create the account (e.g. with "New Account") there's a place
to put in an opening balance.

Otherwise, you can create a transaction in the new account from the
"Equity:Opening Balances" account to set the opening balance.  (This
is what the opening balance from the account creation wizard ends up
doing anyway).

--
Eric Ladner