Expense account not showing up in reports

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 10 12:44:24 EST 2010

Keith Clark <keithclark at waterloosubstop.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 12:20 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Keith Clark <keithclark at waterloosubstop.com> writes:
>>
>> > I created a bill from a vendor, it had multiple expenses on it covering
>> > two different months.  I dated each line item accordingly.  I then
>> > posted the bill and paid it.
>> >
>> > Now the expense account does not show up on my Income Statement.  This
>> > method of entry should work, no?  Do the expenses only get applied at
>> > the posting date?
>>
>> All line items get dated as the Post Date of the Invoice, because they
>> aren't "official" until you post the invoice, and the invoice itself is
>> one transaction, not a set of transactions.  I.e., this is not a bug.
>>
> So how do you apply the expenses to the appropriate months?  Do I have
> to break down the bill manually?

If you want them to show up in different months then yes, you need
different bills.  One bill implies one date.  The line-item dates are
there mostly for your internal information (or for your customers on
invoices).

But accounting-wise there is only one date for all the parts of a bill,
and that's the post date.