OFX import - role of FITID for matching

Martin Preuss martin at aqbanking.de
Sat Nov 13 06:56:09 EST 2010

Hi,

On Samstag 13 November 2010, Andy Den Tandt wrote:
[...]
> Do you have any suggestions on how I should proceed here? Is this a
> bug/missing feature in GnuCash? Is my bank abusing the OFX format? My idea
> now is a search&replace in the OFX file converting FITID=0150 into FITID
> 20100150.
[...]

If I remember correctly this number ought to be unique, in which case your
bank is in fact not using this field correctly.

I would also suggest adding an option to GnuCash which allows inserting the
year before that number. Care must be taken when passing year boundaries,
though. But if your bank uses monotonically increasing numbers the year switch
could be detected. Or, of course, by inspecting the date (if they usethe
booking date, otherwise this coud get tricky).

Also, Gnucash should have an option to ignore this field altogether, because
some banks don't use unique numbers at all but instead assign new numbers on
very OFX download.

Regards
Martin

--
"Things are only impossible until they're not"

Martin Preuss - http://www2.aquamaniac.de/
AqBanking - http://www.aqbanking.de/
LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/