Microsoft Patch KB2264107

Tad Marshall tad at tadmarshall.com
Sat Nov 13 17:26:52 EST 2010

I am not a GnuCash user, but I have spent a day tracking down an issue with
Outlook 2003 caused by my installing the patch described in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2264107 and setting the global restriction
against loading DLLs from the current working directory
(HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager:
"CWDIllegalInDllSearch"=dword:ffffffff).  Installing the patch does not set
this registry item, you have to do it yourself.  Once I did this (reboot
required after installing the patch, no reboot required when changing the
registry value) Outlook was unable to perform "Data File Management" on my
Outlook.pst file, and the "Mail (32-bit)" control panel item no longer
worked.  If you choose to keep the global restriction on loading DLLs from
the current directory, you can re-enable it for specific applications by
adding (for example) HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image
File Execution Options\Outlook.exe: "CWDIllegalInDllSearch"=dword:00000000 .
This fixed Outlook, and adding a similar entry for RunDll32.exe (I know,
kind of a sledgehammer fix) made the control panel's "Mail (32-bit)" item
work as well.

So, it is probably worthwhile to make sure that GnuCash doesn't rely on
having the working directory in the DLL search path, but if that is hard or
impossible it can probably still be worked around with a registry addition.