Microsoft Patch KB2264107

Tad Marshall tad at tadmarshall.com
Sun Nov 14 10:03:26 EST 2010

As a followup to my message from yesterday, I downloaded and installed the
Win32 version of GnuCash 2.3.16 (RC1) and tested it with setting
CWDIllegalInDllSearch to 0xffffffff.  As Doug reported, this breaks GnuCash.
The problem isn't GnuCash.exe, but rather gconfd-2.exe, which (in its parent
process, there is a parent and a child running different executables with
the same name) is running with <program files>\gnucash\bin as its current
working directory, and thus relying on the "old" behavior of loading DLLs
from the current directory.  If I set the global CWDIllegalInDllSearch to
0xffffffff and launch gnucash.exe, I get a dialog with caption "gconfd-2.exe
- System Error" and text "The program can't start because libglib-2.0-0.dll
is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this
problem."  If I cancel this dialog, I get another and another (maybe 20 of
them in a row) as gnucash keeps trying to start the daemon (and they all die
the same way).  If I then add CWDIllegalInDllSearch=0 to Image File
Execution Options as described in my previous message, this fixes the
problem and GnuCash runs fine.  I'm trying to get up-to-speed on filing bugs
with Bugzilla, which I will do (hopefully) later today.  If GnuCash could
add the gnucash\bin directory to the PATH for gconfd-2.exe, this would solve
the problem.