OFX importing

Paul Ogilvie paul.ogilvie at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 13:06:44 EST 2010

Dear Fellow gnucash users,

I have been trying to use Gnucash to keep track of my finances as I like it
and its simplicity of double entry.

The Problem:
I am not sure if I have got the bayesian matching settings incorrect but I
have been having a hard job getting the ofx importer to distinguish between
different transfers.  They are all described as FN TRANSFERS and it is only
the memo that differentiates between two transactions.  I need to be able to
get it to distinguish between them

An Example

Transaction 1
Date: 11/11/2010 Amount:$250 Description: FN TRANSFER Memo: EX
21-3421-3217892-00

Transaction 2
Date 11/11/2010 Amount $400 Description: FN TRANSFER Memo: TO 21
-3421-3428942-34

Currently it can not tell the difference as they both affect different
accounts.

A Possible Solution:
One accounting software I tried used a text search option to solve this
issue.  ie I can state that any transaction with 21-3421-3217892-00 will use
say Assets:Bank:Current
Transactions with 21-3421-3428942-34 will be Assets:Bank:Savings etc

Regards,

Paul