Closing books and reports

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Nov 26 08:38:29 EST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, November 26, 2010 5:14 am, Steve Hill wrote:

> In GNUCash, closing the books zeros all the income and expense accounts by
> transferring their balance into an equity account.  If I generate a report
> that spans the year-end then this transfer is included in the report.
>
> For example, if I want to find out how much money came in through an
> income account over a particular period, I can generate a cash flow
> report; but if this report spans the end of the financial year, it will
> include the transfer between the income account and the equity account
> that was generated by closing the books.  Obviously this throws out all
> the totals and also causes the report showing where money flowed to/from
> to include all the other accounts that were in the book-closing split
> too.  Is there any way to exclude these transactions from the report
> generation?

Nope.  Once you close the books you cannot run reports that span the
closing.  If you want to run reports that span the "closing" time then
don't close the books.  The reports are all designed to automatically
"close the books" within the reports, so the only reason to run the
close-books function is if you want your CoA to show "this period"
balances.

Another approach to solve this would be if we had a "Current Period
Balance" column in the CoA.  Implementation is up to the reader, but
patches always welcome!

>   - Steve
>     xmpp:steve at nexusuk.org   sip:steve at nexusuk.org
> http://www.nexusuk.org/

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745