difficulty following online basics_together1.html (without screenshots)

Jacob Wegelin jacobwegelin at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 27 20:08:54 EST 2010

(An earlier email with identical text and four attached screenshots appears not to have reached the list.
This email contains identical text but no attachments.)

I am trying to follow the manual at the following page:

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/basics_together1.html

I'm using GnuCash 2.2.9 on a MacBook Pro.

Am I correct in thinking that this manual is out of date, i.e., does not fit the
current version of GnuCash, or that it does not fit the Mac platform?

I think figured out how to achieve the results that this page aims at, except that I
see no way to return to "default." I see no "default" button or option. But to
achieve the results I was able to achieve, I had to take very different steps from
what the page says.

Details:

First, steps (1) and (2) seem to overlap. After I had done step (1): "When you have
completed the setup, save this file with a filename you want to use for your home
data," I had a view that looked like the picture below step (2). But then when I
tried to do step (2), "Next, create a file to store test data.  This is the file that
will be used in the tutorials throughout this manual. Click File -> New to create a
new file, and name it gcashdata", I interpreted this to mean that I was supposed to
save my data under a new name.  But when I did File -> New, it wanted me to go
through setup again. So I backed out of that. Then I had no accounts at all. So I did
something like "file -> Open" and browsed back to the file I had saved at step (1)
The solution seemed to be to ignore step (2).  Maybe step (2) should be deleted from
this page?

At step (3), the website says to do "Edit -> Preferences -> General", but I can't do
that on my Mac. Instead I have to do GnuCash -> Preferences and then click General on
the left side of the preferences pane.

But more seriously, once I've done that, I saw no way in Preferences to "change the
tool bar buttons so that they display only text, not icons." See attached screen shot
of Prefences, General.

Instructions say to return to the default but I see no "default" button.

Instructions say: "From the tool bar, select Options and select the “Type” item in
the Account Fields to display option." I see no Options button or menu anywhere.  See
the attached screen shots.

But I was able to add "Type" by a completely different procedure. I clicked the wide
arrow that points down on the right side of the GnuCash window. See the last
attachment.

Are these differences due to the Mac platform, or are they because the page was
written for an earlier version of GnuCash?

I'm not trying to play dumb, I am just new to this and confused.

Thanks

Jake Wegelin

The following attachments were deleted to try to get this to the list:

     [ Part 2, ""  Image/PNG (Name: ]
     [ "Screen_shot_2010-11-27_at_27_Nov.50.12_PM_GnucashPreferencesGeneral ]
     [ .png") 76 KB. ]
     [ Unable to print this part. ]

     [ Part 3, ""  Image/PNG (Name: ]
     [ "Screen_shot_2010-11-27_at_27_Nov.54.32_PM_View.png") 94 KB. ]
     [ Unable to print this part. ]

     [ Part 4, ""  Image/PNG (Name: ]
     [ "Screen_shot_2010-11-27_at_27_Nov.54.58_PM_NoOptions.png") 87 KB. ]
     [ Unable to print this part. ]

     [ Part 5, ""  Image/PNG (Name: ]
     [ "Screen_shot_2010-11-27_at_27_Nov.09.50_PM_fatDownArrow.png") 163 ]
     [ KB. ]
     [ Unable to print this part. ]