Multiple Currencies

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sun Nov 28 17:23:17 EST 2010

--On November 28, 2010 2:34:47 PM +0100 Martin Roennebeck
<martin.roennebeck at web.de> wrote:

> 2) Year end closing
> The currency trading accounts can not be picked for balance or p&l
> reports (at least I haven't found a way, where you can do this). So
> if you run your balances over all accounts, they won't balance.
> However, the difference is exactly the balance of the currency
> trading accounts. This acceptable during the year, but for year end
> reporting I am still testing, which posting needs to be done to
> transfer this not realised gain/loss into equity. If anyone knows the
> correct posting, please let me know. (careful: it is not just a
> simple transfer of the open amount in home currency, the p&l of
> exchange rate movements after year end still need to be fully
> reflected in the currency trading accounts)

The balance sheet report (both the old and the EGuile version) includes
trading accounts in the calculation, at least in the 2.3.17 version
(and previous 2.3 versions).  What balance report are you looking at
that doesn't include them?

The Profit and Loss (aka Income Statement) report does ignore them and
probably shouldn't.  I'm not sure whether they should be included by
default.  Probably so, but maybe not.  Unfortunately, fixing this would
break the string freeze so it will have to wait until after 2.4 is
released.

         Mike