Multiple Currencies

Martin Roennebeck martin.roennebeck at web.de
Sun Nov 28 08:34:47 EST 2010

David,

I also strongly recommend the documents from Peter Selinger that Mike
Alexander mentioned in his answer.

In addition to that, I have a similar setup and I do it as follows:
I run German and Singaporean accounts and have income/expenses in both
countries.
However, I normally pay my Euro expenses from my Euro accounts and my
SGD expenses from my SGD accounts. So no problem.

It becomes tricky once I transfer funds between my accounts in
different currencies. Then the effect of not-balancing balances comes
in, which a very nicely described in Peter Selingers documents. If you
want to get it right, you really need to take a look at the
documentation and might want to consider to already use the up to date
(non stable) version 2.3.17, as it includes most of this concept (and
it could be considered 'almost stable' anyway). Make sure you choose
the option to use currency trading accounts.

Now two problems remain:

1) Reports / account hierarchy
If you want to run separate reports in different currencies, I decided
to split the hierarchy by currency on a top level. This makes it much
easier to pick the accounts seperately in the report options. Of
course, one could argue that once you have chosen the accounts you
could save the settings, but I personally find the split on top level
easier. Additionally, I use GnuCash to run reports for tax declaration
purposes, so I definitely wouldn't like to mix SGD with EUR accounts
in such reports.  I agree, it creates a bit of complexity, but if you
financially live in two (or even more) worlds, life is complex
anyway... But this is up to you, GnuCash is flexible enough. A
specific option to select accounts from only one currency is not
available.

2) Year end closing
The currency trading accounts can not be picked for balance or p&l
reports (at least I haven't found a way, where you can do this). So if
you run your balances over all accounts, they won't balance. However,
the difference is exactly the balance of the currency trading
accounts. This acceptable during the year, but for year end reporting
I am still testing, which posting needs to be done to transfer this
not realised gain/loss into equity. If anyone knows the correct
posting, please let me know. (careful: it is not just a simple
transfer of the open amount in home currency, the p&l of exchange rate
movements after year end still need to be fully reflected in the
currency trading accounts)

Hope this helps

Martin