GC portable doesn't find my file or remember my settings

allisonmphd gnucash at capacities.org
Sun Oct 3 16:31:47 EDT 2010

Hello,

I've been using GC portable for about a year, and used the regular GC before
that.

I just got a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit (formerly using XP).  I
installed the latest version of GC portable (in my Program Files(x86 folder)
and migrated my data folder.  Now every time I open GC it opens a blank
database and gives all me the opening dialog boxes (tips, splash screen),
ignoring my prior preferences.  When I go to open my database file I have to
exit the blank one without saving (or, I've tried setting my preferences and
saving).  I've tried "save as" in order to show it where I keep my data, but
even so, it still always defaults back to the "profile" folder the next time
around.  I've tried every combination I can think of.

I'm working on my taxes (I know, last minute!), and it's such a nuisance to
go through 8 clicks and then edit my preferences again every time I open and
close the application!  For the moment, I finally installed the regular GC,
but would like to solve this so I can return to the portable version.

Many thanks!
Allison