Import wizard's "Smartness"

Christopher Singley csingley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 09:00:02 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Oliver Schinagl <oliver at schinagl.nl> wrote:

>>> smarter
>>> slightly (and
>>> really am
>>> bankstatements

Can't speak for gnucash import logic, but your generated OFX looks
malformed.  <BANKACCTTO> is just an aggegating element that consists
of just a tag, without any text data.  It contains three child
elements ( <BANKID>, <ACCTID>, and <ACCTTYPE>) which are used as a
3-tuple to uniquely identify a bank account.  This might be screwing
up your import.

This part of the spec is stable across different OFX versions; you can
find it e.g. on pg. 184 of the OFXv2.0.3 spec:

http://www.ofx.net/DownloadPage/Downloads.aspx

You may also wish to look closely at Chpt. 12 of the spec, concerning
online payments - it's possible that this is actually a better to what
your transactions are & what data your bank are offering for download.