Import wizard's "Smartness"

Oliver Schinagl oliver at schinagl.nl
Sun Oct 10 21:03:43 EDT 2010

 On 10/11/10 02:21, FireFly wrote:

>> smarter
>> slightly (and
>> really am
>> bankstatements
>>>>
>>> For me at least, when I import and OFX and a "new
>> unrecognized" transaction is in it, I have to provide the
>> matching account. After I've done that next OFX I import
>> seems to recognize "same" transactions and book them to the
>> same account for me.
>>> Does that help? So I guess I'd ask, have you tried a
>> second import?
>>>
>> I haven't tried a second import yet, What I have done at
>> the moment, is
>> specifically add 2 entries from the csv and was hoping it
>> would pick up
>> a few automatically. It doesn't. It does recognize that
>> those entries
>> where in the csv/ofx file (marking them green instead of
>> orange) but
>> other then that, no change. I did enter the accounts on the
>> two manually
>> entered ones.
>>
>> So I can try matching the firs tmonth, then export the
>> second month of
>> 2005 and try to see if that helps.
>
> Oliver
>
> Yes, you can see, it may be okay, or not, depends on the transactions really, and I don't know the logic behind what it does, and what it doesn't recognize, so can't help much there.
Well I tried, did the first year, and corrected everything. The second
year import put everything to 'groceries' Why? I have no clue.

Well what i'd be after really then, is the OFX entry for the
Category/account. I noticed after choosing the account this csv/ofx was
related to, it put those nicely under the asset of the bank I choose at
the import time. I tried to find bits and pieces in the code, but it
doesn't make sense. And the OFX specification is way way to huge, and
the example on their page is too limited (unless that's all there is to
it). In that case.

I figure, changing the CSV in calc/sql would be rather easy, adding a
new field and enter account names (Even how gnucash would want the,
Expenses:Groceries, for example) and then have the perl script be
modified to add this information. But what would the property/attribute
be called so GNUcash understands this ... (Its not the Bankaccto as that
seems to get bluntly ignored).
> I'd also question why your doing 5 years worth, is it really necessary? (and it may be, but that's a lot of data, especially if you have a number of bank accounts, and could take some time even if everything is perfect, and importing CSV files isn't perfect so).
Luckly my banking isn't that extended. 5 years is 'only' 1900
transactions total ... still a lot.

> Also, please remember to reply-all or CC the gnucash mailing list, so that others may benefit if the discussion yields anything of substance.
Sorry, gotten used to receive mails from lists, so reply would 'just
work' :)