Import wizard's "Smartness"

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 20:21:16 EDT 2010

> >> So to summarize, what should I do to make gnucash
> smarter
> >> when importing data? I can modify the csv file
> slightly (and
> >> the perl script) to make minor adjustments but I
> really am
> >> not looking forward on working on 5 years of
> bankstatements
> >> :(
> >>
> > For me at least, when I import and OFX and a "new
> unrecognized" transaction is in it, I have to provide the
> matching account. After I've done that next OFX I import
> seems to recognize "same" transactions and book them to the
> same account for me.
> >
> > Does that help? So I guess I'd ask, have you tried a
> second import?
> >
> I haven't tried a second import yet, What I have done at
> the moment, is
> specifically add 2 entries from the csv and was hoping it
> would pick up
> a few automatically. It doesn't. It does recognize that
> those entries
> where in the csv/ofx file (marking them green instead of
> orange) but
> other then that, no change. I did enter the accounts on the
> two manually
> entered ones.
>
> So I can try matching the firs tmonth, then export the
> second month of
> 2005 and try to see if that helps.

Oliver

Yes, you can see, it may be okay, or not, depends on the transactions really, and I don't know the logic behind what it does, and what it doesn't recognize, so can't help much there.

I'd also question why your doing 5 years worth, is it really necessary? (and it may be, but that's a lot of data, especially if you have a number of bank accounts, and could take some time even if everything is perfect, and importing CSV files isn't perfect so).

Also, please remember to reply-all or CC the gnucash mailing list, so that others may benefit if the discussion yields anything of substance.

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com