Import wizard's "Smartness"

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sun Oct 10 12:20:01 EDT 2010

On 10/10/2010 10:53 AM, FireFly wrote:
> --- On Sun, 10/10/10, Oliver Schinagl<oliver at schinagl.nl>  wrote:
>>
>> So to summarize, what should I do to make gnucash smarter
>> when importing data? I can modify the csv file slightly (and
>> the perl script) to make minor adjustments but I really am
>> not looking forward on working on 5 years of bankstatements
>> :(
>
> For me at least, when I import and OFX and a "new unrecognized"
transaction is in it, I have to provide the matching account. After I've
done that next OFX I import seems to recognize "same" transactions and
book them to the same account for me.

In my case, I have a number of automatic withdrawls from my checking
account into my ING Savings accounts. Each is a different amount.
However, each transaction gets the same name and description added by my
bank. And so the import wizard never suggests an account, since
apparently it only looks at the transaction description, and not the amount.

It does match other transactions - such as charges from various
utilities, or the supermarket where I shop, etc. Those transactions are
matched, regardless of amounts.

I'm hoping the import wizard gets smarter in the next stable version.
Hopefully, it will look at transaction descriptions and amounts, to deal
with transactions like these multiple ING transactions I do.