End of day vs start of day.

Luis Alberto Zarrabeitia zarrabeitia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 15:47:17 EDT 2010

I recently began using gnucash to track my home finances. When trying
to summarize my expenses for last month, I found something unexpected:
I ran a "cash flow" report, and a net worth report (selecting the
accounts I was interested in reviewing), expecting that

money_in - money_out = net_worth(end of the month) - net_worth(start
of next month)

(i.e, for both reports, I chose "start of previous month" and "end of
previous month" as the date range). To my surprise, the amounts were
different. After a while I noticed why: the net worth report would
show me the data /at the end/ of september 1st, while the cash flow
report for the same period includes the transactions from that day.

Is there any way to make those numbers match? I would like, for the
net worth report, to do a report for the whole period with "step size"
set to "month" so I don't have to manually chose the dates (currently
I have to set the period from the last day to the last day instead,
because the month by month table is offset by one day with the cash
flow). I'm thinking either make it the report show the data for the
last day of the month instead of the first, or even better, to show
the data at the beginning of the day instead of at the end of the day.

Luis.

What would you suggest?