Import wizard's "Smartness"

Oliver Schinagl oliver at schinagl.nl
Tue Oct 12 13:54:04 EDT 2010

 On 10/12/10 17:33, Christopher Singley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Oliver Schinagl <oliver at schinagl.nl> wrote:
>> well the csv file from my bank is pretty basic, date, myacct#,
>> theiracct#, name, memo, credit/debit, amount (from the top of my head) I
>> briefly checked chapter 12, but it mentions a lot about payments etc.
>> Not sure what exactly you mean with this. So modifying the previously
>> stated, I modified it to:
>>
>> <BANKACCTTO>
>> <ACCTID>theiracct#</ACCTID>
>> <ACCTTYPE>
>> CHECKING
>> </ACCTTYPE>
>> </BANKACCTTO>
> I just looked more closely at your original msg.  If the transaction
> type is POS, i.e. point of sale, then really you shouldn't need
> BANKACCTO (which would be used for e.g. an electronic funds transfer).
>  Anyway this information would only be useful if you also owned the
> target BANKACCTTO & had it set up in your software, which I'm guessing
> is not the case here, since you said the transaction involved your
> paying a 3rd party.
>
> So ignore BANKACCTTO then & don't waste your time.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> For payments, as opposed to transfers, the targets are matched by
> <NAME> or <PAYEE>.  You don't have enough data to construct a <PAYEE>,
> and it's not necessary anyway.
>
> The transformation you're doing now ought to be sufficient, I'd
> suppose.  If the import blows up, then try deleting the whole
> BANKACCTTO aggregate (which, if present, strictly speaking ought to
> have a BANKID, even if it's blank)
>
> Just keep an eye on the results of your Perl script, because it's
> outputting invalid OFX.
That's to bad. I'm sorry for not understanding the OFX spec, but I guess
it's a little to much, for just importing my student load etc data :)

I was hoping that, if acct info from bankacctto would/could be used to
'guess' better, as you can also enter an account # in the various
accounts. I suppose this is how the US banks differently, here in the
Netherlands the 5 or 6 major banks differentiate themselves based on the
acct numbers. (that they don't conflict surprises me) so thinks like
branch id etc we don't have (as mentioned even in the spec).

Anyway, I'll just keep clicking and assigning accounts until done.