General Ledger entries not getting to accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 3 09:58:02 EDT 2010

Hi,

Keith Clark <keithclark at waterloosubstop.com> writes:

> I have just begun using GnuCash and after my first couple of entries
> into my General Ledger, my entries are no longer being posted to the
> appropriate accounts.
>
> I have entered the daily sales into my sales account and the cash into
> my petty cash account.  The transaction was recorded and is balanced.
>
> When I check my Accounts, the sales account shows a 0 balance as does
> the petty cash account.  The income/expense report also shows no balance
> in the sales account.
>
> Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

What locale is your computer set to be in?
What currency or currencies are your accounts in?

Some of us (like myself) discourage use of the General Ledger for
general transaction entry.  Personally I always enter transactions from
the relevant Asset (and liability) accounts.