Setting Column Width

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Wed Sep 8 18:02:00 EDT 2010

> http://miksovsky.blogs.com/flowstate/2010/09/every-app-has-a-scary-b
> asement.html

Thanks for the reference.  I found this sentence relating to MS Money:

> there was no separation between presentation, business logic, and
> on-disk representation.

Having spent 30 years developing (mainly accounting) software I find that
kind of structure entirely apalling (though  entirely what I might expect
of Microsoft).  He then goes on to talk about all the additional
development done on that module, that could only be done by the most
senior programmers because nobody else dared touch it.  Developing - and
continuing to hack - software built like that is both stupid and
completely unforgiveable, and even more so because it was done by the
senior programmers who should have known better!  In similar situations I
would (and did!) refuse to do the hack, but would insist on rewriting the
module to include proper logical layering and modular structure, just so
as _not_ to cause that sort of problem!

One would expect it of Microsoft, but I would hope that gnucash was
written to a higher standard than that.  If the register has been written
as one would hope it has, there will be a presentation code  that should
be amendable independent of any other register functionality ...

However, I wasn't trying to get into a discussion on software design and
development principles, merely asking if there are plans to fix it!  :-)

Colin