Setting Column Width

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 9 18:44:35 EDT 2010

"Colin Scott" <gnucash at double-bars.net> writes:

> Derek -
>
> You said
>
>> This is in the FAQ:
>
> It seems to me that the fact this question arises frequently enough to
> warrant an entry in the FAQ is an indication that the current method of
> dealing with columns is not entirely satisfactory.  Are there any future
> plans to make columns work in a more intuitive (and, dare I say it, a
> more standardised!) way?

Well, at the time this was implemented it was a little more standard..
Stuff changes over time.

> A more usual approach is to enable the re-sizing of any column by
> dragging its RH margin, independent of the size of any other column.
> Make a colum so small that the total width of viewable columns is less
> than the total window-width, and there is a blank margin to the right of
> the last column.  Expand a column so that the total width of all viewable
> columns exceeds the total width of the window, then a horizontal
> scroll-bar appears, allowing the user to scroll sideways to view the
> hidden content.

Um, this *IS* the way it all works.  And you can always extend ANY
column to be bigger by taking the right-side column and pulling it
further to the right.  That's *exactly* how it works!   The issue is
when you want to make a column SMALLER.  In that case you can only do it
if the total width of the columns is wider than the window.

The issue is when you reduce the width of the columns to *less* than the
size of the window.  In that case the description column will
auto-expand to fill it.

> I think that this approach would be far more intuitive for the user, and
> would significantly cut bandwidth in here!  :-)

Nah, people would still ask questions that are in the FAQ.