Problem: On-line quotes for UK Funds are x100 too high

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue Sep 21 15:58:13 EDT 2010

On 21 September 2010 at 16:24, GRAHAM SMITH said:

> Frank,
> Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the link/thread has no action since Oct
> 2009 and no suggestions. The problem described (there) sounds similar but
> different. I do not have a problem with UK Stocks(Shares), ONLY with UK
> Funds. The Funds are listed in Pence on the UK Yahoo site but FQ/GC
> tranlates the pence as pounds i.e. x100 higher value. Best regards, Graham

This sounds like an issue with Yahoo Europe for which a temporary fix was
produced about two years ago, though I can't find the exact email in
which it was announced. The basic problem is that, for unit & investment
trusts, Yahoo Europe returns data in a format that finance-quote is not
expecting, so the divide-by-100 that should convert the pence to pounds
isn't being run.

The cure, for me at least, was to install a modification to
c:\perl\site\lib\Finance\Quote\Yahoo\Base.pm

I'm attaching the modified version (in a zipfile). If you want to try it,
I would strongly advise first copying the existing file to somewhere
safe.

I think it gets re-read every time you run "Get Quotes" in the Price
Editor, i.e. you wouldn't need to close/reopen Gnucash to try it. You
should probably delete the dud price entries first, because IIRC it won't
re-fetch a quote for the same date as one that's there already.