Fw: Handling a Stock Spin Off

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 16:25:19 EDT 2010

Mike--

Thanks for responding.

By "original purchase date" do you mean when I originally made the purchase, or when the spin off occurred? It would look weird to make that adjustment back at the first purchase date... As for the tax implications, in this situation, the event was on 1/1/2008, and I believe that there would be no further benefit in the US to backdate any further, since long term capital gains kicks in at one year. Am I right?

Thanks,
David