gnucash data backup file

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Sep 25 09:21:52 EDT 2010

>I am not sure what you mean by 'find it quickly'.  I use the simple
>technique of copying it (and other stuff to be backed up) to CD once a
>week (at least that is the theory).  Then occasionally I take a copy
>to a relatives house so that I do not loose everything in the case of
>major disaster.
>
>Colin

And as usual I will add something.

The problem is NOT (or should not be) "how do I have a backup of my
GnuCash data?" but instead "how do I have a backup of all the user data
on my computer?". Treating this as an application by application problem
is not the way to go. You should be making regular periodic backups of
ALL the user data on your computer and saving these backups in some safe
location.

These days that backup medium is likely to be an external USB drive,
easy to hook up and easy to dismount and then keep at some safer
location. That pretty much eliminates the "how do I find" problem
because the easiest way to do this is to make a copy of your entire data
directory (folder if you only speak "Windowese") so it would have the
same name from whatever you have renamed the data directory* on down.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

* I rename the user data directory to include the backup date in it so
can tell versions apart (I do monthly backups here). If you only made
one backup copy you could use the "create date" to know when but would
still have a name conflict problem and you'd have to look at directory
properties to see the create date. I make multiple backup copies (so can
keep one handy for quick access while sending another off to a separate
location) so couldn't completely trust the create date as possibly the
second copy made from the first not done immediately.