Transfer file - Win to Linux

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Sep 26 09:31:59 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Sat, September 25, 2010 12:48 am, Gary Helbig wrote:
> I'm having trouble moving my GnuCash data file from Windows to Linux.
> When I open the file in Linux, I get an "unable to parse" error message.
>
> I'm using 2.3.7 in Windows XP.  Ubuntu has 2.2.9 available with package
> manager, so I use that in Linux.

Moast likely you're using the SQL backend, because 2.3.7 defaulted to
that.  Unfortunately 2.2.9 cannot read that, it's a new-in-2.3.x feature.
This begs the question: why are you using a test-release?

> I tried saving the file as XML, but it's not an XML file, and it's 10% of
> the size of the original file.

Right, because it's a COMPRESSED XML file.  However there were some bugs
in the early 2.3.x series where a SQL->XML migration would not copy all
your data properly.  But the File->Save As [XML] is your best bet...
However it's quite possible that your data is irrecoverable; you can't
even easily update to 2.3.15 because of SQL schema changes.

Again, begging the question:  why are you using a test release?

> Are there any other options?  TIA

Start over?

If the file you get from File -> Save As doesn't work, I'm afraid that's
probably your only option.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..