No subject

Mon Sep 27 20:13:48 EDT 2010

re managing an ongoing activity in which you have to make distributions to =
recipients (beneficiaries) on a regular basis, because funds are owed them.=
  You also mention an income/expense activity which suggests either a busin=
ess or a liquidation of assets of an estate.

What is unknown is the basis/reason dictating why you are distributing asse=
ts on a monthly basis.  The reply to your question is an accounting one.  B=
ut that accounting question activity is shaped by what dictates what you ar=
e doing.  In my experience if it is an estate that is being disbursed, that=
 usually is not done until all liabilities to non-beneficiaries have been d=
etermined in amount and paid to those claimants.  What is left after paying=
 creditors are net assets, of which the beneficiaries are the owners.  In t=
hat arrangement,  your notion of debiting equity and crediting cash works. =
 What is unknown to this list (and therefore suggests a note of risk) is wh=
y you distribute before the funds are on hand (you say they are dependent u=
pon income, which always is problematical in advance of receipt).

If you are administering a trust, then the terms of the trust must be speci=
fied in order to know what you are supposed to do when.  If income is comin=
g in from the trust's activities, then it suggests that in the short run th=
e trust is an ongoing activity and the amounts owed  beneficiaries are real=
ly liabilities of the trust.  If that is the reality, then you would have l=
iabilities offsetting trust assets.

If you supply a clear statement of your situation, it will be easier to det=
ermine the proper way to record the transactions you describe.

HTH,

Tom Bullock