Australian requirement.

Mal BUTLER butlerml at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 4 20:00:26 EDT 2011

I don't know whether anyone has suggested the following, & I realise
Australia is a small market & thus may not have a very high priority.

I don't know ehether any other country has the following system.

In Australia, the financial system associated with Australian shares
includes a "Franking Credit" item.
Companies in Aus. pay company tax at about 30%.   As normal, they pay
dividends.   These dividends are then seen as income for the Investor.

To prevent the one dividend being taxed twice i.e. once as Company Tax &
once as Income for the i\nvestor, the amount of Company Tax already paid
is shown as a Franking Credit for the dividend amount, & becomes a
credit for the Investor.

At the moment, I don't thing that GnuCash makes allowance for thus.   I
overcome it by creating a "Franking Credit" item & since the system is
double entry I create a "Franking Credit Book Adjustment" which is hidden.

For what it is worth .......

Regards,

Mal BUTLER
--
Mal & Ruth BUTLER. P.O. Box 65, ACACIA RIDGE Q4110. Au