payees and memos

Kevin Reid kpreid at switchb.org
Sat Apr 9 06:58:22 EDT 2011

On Apr 9, 2011, at 1:55, George & Rebekah Kalamoutsos wrote:

> I am accustomed to generating reports based on payee.  As far as I
> can tell (from manuals, web searches, faqs, etc) the gnucash
> "description" field is where I would record my payee (and my memos)
> and there is no way then to search a specific payee across
> accounts.  Am I missing a field or option or report already in the
> program?  If not, can I request that payees be incorporated so that
> they can be searched, totaled over a time period, and recorded
> separate from transaction memos?

For this purpose you can use the “Description” field for payee and the
“Notes” field for memo. (Selct Double Line from the View menu if you
do not have the Notes field.)

You can then perform a search based on the Description field. Note
that searching is restricted to the current view — if you wish to
search all accounts, start from the Accounts page.

You can then generate reports from those results. (It appears, though,
that the only reports which support working from search results are
“Account Report” and “Account Transaction Report” which are listed in
the menu only when a register is open.)

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>