Notes-Memo confusion

Carpet Nailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Tue Apr 12 10:26:09 EDT 2011

I'm trying to create a custom transaction report and GnuCash is messing
it up with some sort of memo/notes confusion.

I have entries created in my VISA account that show "xxxx" in the Notes
fields. This also shows up in the Notes field of the expense account
entry.

But when I create a transaction report of these expenses, something
different, 'yyyy' shows up instead. The problem is that entry is the
same for every entry on the report from this payee, effectively
obfuscating the different Notes explanation of what the payment was for,
which appear in the Notes field of the original transaction entries.

Trying to figure this out, I did a Edit->Find for the Payee. This shows
a field called "Memo" rather than "Notes" and it has 'yyyy' in it!?

Where does this "Memo" value come from, since it's in neither the VISA
entry nor the Expense entry?

So I though I'd redo the report by unchecking "Memo" on the Display list
for the transaction report and leaving "Notes" checked.

Well this doesn't work--now I get neither.

What's going on and how can I get the right "Notes" in my report?

Thanks.