Notes-Memo confusion

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Apr 13 04:32:10 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 12 April 2011 15:26:09 Carpet Nailz wrote:

> Where does this "Memo" value come from, since it's in neither the VISA
> entry nor the Expense entry?

Hi,
Are you looking at the register in Basic Ledger mode?  Try turning on Double
Line and Auto Split from the View Menu.

> What's going on and how can I get the right "Notes" in my report?

ISTR that a transaction can have a "notes/memo" entry, but each split can also
have a "note/memo" for just that split.  It sounds like you are picking up
that split-level text.  Sorry, don't know how to get the transaction-level
text.  From some casual experiments, it seems that if the split to
the "reported" account has memo text, then the transaction report shows that
text, but if it isn't there then the transaction text is shown.

HTH,
Maf.