Notes-Memo confusion

Carpet Nailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Wed Apr 13 08:06:26 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 09:32 +0100, Maf. King wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 April 2011 15:26:09 Carpet Nailz wrote:
>

> > Where does this "Memo" value come from, since it's in neither the VISA
> > entry nor the Expense entry?
> >

> Hi,
> Are you looking at the register in Basic Ledger mode?  Try turning on Double
> Line and Auto Split from the View Menu.
>
> > What's going on and how can I get the right "Notes" in my report?
>
> ISTR that a transaction can have a "notes/memo" entry, but each split can also
> have a "note/memo" for just that split.  It sounds like you are picking up
> that split-level text.  Sorry, don't know how to get the transaction-level
> text.  From some casual experiments, it seems that if the split to
> the "reported" account has memo text, then the transaction report shows that
> text, but if it isn't there then the transaction text is shown.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.
>

> > Thanks.

That's it. I had to go into Auto Split view and create a blank entry to
get that "memo" line out of the "memory." It's annoying that it doesn't
get over-written when you make a new entry in to Basic Ledger mode, and
that there's no way till it's too late to know that what you're entering
in the Basic Ledger mode isn't doing what you think it's doing.

So if at some point you make a split entry, then after that all the
non-split entries (for that "Description"?) will be screwed up unless
one is aware of the problem and takes explicit steps to fix it.

This sounds like a programmatic flaw. I wonder how many of my other
entries where I sometimes need to make a split entry are messed up this
way?

Thanks.