Notes-Memo confusion

Carpet Nailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Wed Apr 13 09:37:10 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 09:13 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> "Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> writes:
>
> > On Tuesday 12 April 2011 15:26:09 Carpet Nailz wrote:
> >

> >> Where does this "Memo" value come from, since it's in neither the VISA
> >> entry nor the Expense entry?
> >>

> > Hi,
> > Are you looking at the register in Basic Ledger mode?  Try turning on Double
> > Line and Auto Split from the View Menu.
> >
> >> What's going on and how can I get the right "Notes" in my report?
> >
> > ISTR that a transaction can have a "notes/memo" entry, but each split can also
> > have a "note/memo" for just that split.  It sounds like you are picking up
> > that split-level text.  Sorry, don't know how to get the transaction-level
> > text.  From some casual experiments, it seems that if the split to
> > the "reported" account has memo text, then the transaction report shows that
> > text, but if it isn't there then the transaction text is shown.
>
> Technically, the transaction has a "Notes" field, which is for the
> transaction itself and is viewable only in double-line mode.  Then each
> Split has a "memo" field that it part of the Split itself.

I'm still confused, since I'm usually not doing a "split," just a simple
entry with one credit and one debit in basic ledger mode. So why does it
not just capture what I'm entering there rather than pulling in
something from a "split" transaction that's not even being used now?

Does it follow that one should never use the basic ledger mode if one
has ever used a "split" with that vendor/payer/"description", lest one
inadvertently mess up one's notes? I've got lots of accounts where I
normally don't enter splits, just one debit and one credit, but every
once in a while need to use the split function when there are multiple
debit or multiple credit entries for a given transaction.