Notes-Memo confusion

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 13 09:13:54 EDT 2011

"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> writes:

> On Tuesday 12 April 2011 15:26:09 Carpet Nailz wrote:
>

>> Where does this "Memo" value come from, since it's in neither the VISA
>> entry nor the Expense entry?
>>

> Hi,
> Are you looking at the register in Basic Ledger mode?  Try turning on Double
> Line and Auto Split from the View Menu.
>
>> What's going on and how can I get the right "Notes" in my report?
>
> ISTR that a transaction can have a "notes/memo" entry, but each split can also
> have a "note/memo" for just that split.  It sounds like you are picking up
> that split-level text.  Sorry, don't know how to get the transaction-level
> text.  From some casual experiments, it seems that if the split to
> the "reported" account has memo text, then the transaction report shows that
> text, but if it isn't there then the transaction text is shown.

Technically, the transaction has a "Notes" field, which is for the
transaction itself and is viewable only in double-line mode.  Then each
Split has a "memo" field that it part of the Split itself.

It's the transaction notes that get printed into the "memo" field of a
printed check.

When you quickfill a transaction it pulls in the notes and memo fields
into the new transaction.  This is considered a feature, not a bug.

Unfortunately the terms "memo" and "notes" are kind of confused
throughout the app and docs.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.