Balancing checking account with bank statement

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 14 18:22:44 EDT 2011

On 4/14/2011 3:33 PM, Diann wrote:

> I am having difficulty with this.  I find that the reconciliation window
> does not carry forward the ending balance from the previous bank statement
> as the opening balance to reconcile with, but rather carries forward the
> checkbook balance.  This makes it very unlikely to balance with the bank
> statement.   Other programs I have used have always carried forward the
> ending bank statement balance as the opening balance on the next
> reconciliation.  Am I missing something or doing something wrong?  Thanks
> for your help.
>

> Diann I. Hayes
>
> Legal Assistant
>
> Horne Law Firm, PLLC
>
> 2315 Market Street
>
> Wilmington, NC 28403
>
> Tel:  910.254.7901   Fax: 910.254.7903
>

> The information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
> confidential and is intended for the sole use of the addressee. If you are
> not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent of the intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that any interception, dissemination,
> distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and
> unlawful. If you have received this transmission in error, please
> immediately notify the sender listed herein and delete the electronic file,
> and destroy any print of the original message.

Would not the ending balance from the previous statement be the same as
the checkbook (reconciled) balance unless a previously reconciled
transaction has disappeared from the register or been changed to
un-reconciled?   In either case, you still have a mystery to solve to
get a correct reconciliation.  Perhaps I do not understand your question.
Transactions that were matched with downloaded transactions are marked
with a 'c' while transactions that have been reconciled are marked with
a "y".  Normally you get a warning if you try to change a reconciled
transaction.

David Carlson