Balancing checking account with bank statement

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Apr 15 06:37:48 EDT 2011

On Friday 15 April 2011 02:11:13 baconmaker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started using GnuCash and today I was looking for how to reconcile.
> If I am following your question correctly, when you click on reconcile you
> will get a screen asking for a statement date.  It will show you a
> beginning balance which is carried forward from your last reconciliation.

Hi,

Welcome to GC and the forum.

Just a small point, but possibly important - the start balance is actually
calculated by summing all the already-reconciled transactions.  It
isn't "carried forward" or otherwise stored in the data file, AFAIK.

This means that if you make changes to the reconciled transactions in the time
between statements, then the opening balance won't always be what you might
expect.

The usual advice in this circumstance is to ignore the opening balance, put in
the closing balance from the statement and see what you can match between the
account and statement, and see if it all works out ok in the end!

HTH,
Maf.