Balancing checking account with bank statement

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Apr 15 09:14:56 EDT 2011

On Friday 15 April 2011 13:52:08 Diann wrote:
> This worked in January with reconciling the bank balance.  However, with
> February, it did not carry forward the ending balance from the previous
> bank statement, which corresponds with the "beginning balance" on the bank
> statement (which does occur with other accounting programs).  It carried
> forward the computerized checkbook balance.  And, no, it did not work out
> OK as it showed an out-of-balance difference of over $200.00.  The amounts
> of the deposits matched the total deposits on the bank statement, and the
> cleared checks matched the amount shown on the bank statement as well.  The
> only difference was the beginning balance, and I do not know how to justify
> or reconcile for that difference.
>
> Thanks for your help.  Any other ideas?

Hi Diann,

Just want to be absolutely clear about a couple of things.

What do you mean when you say "computerized checkbook balance"?

Are you trying to reconcile the bank account?

If you reconciled correctly in January, then unless you changed/deleted a
reconciled transaction, that reconciled balance should have been the opening
balance for the feb. statement.  GC doesn't store the reconciled balance, it
calculates it on the fly at the start of the reconcile process, by summing
all the reconciled transactions at that time.

How far back do your GC records go?  it might be an idea to go back in time,
un-reconcile the account and start over reconciling from when you started
with GC. (unreconciling an account is a dull, manual process - you have to
click on each of the little "y" flags, and possibly click the OK dialogue
too...)

Maf.