Balancing checking account with bank statement

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 18 09:07:31 EDT 2011

Diann,

"Diann" <dhayes at hornelaw.us> writes:

> Thank you for responding.  No, the ending balance on the BANK statement is
> not the same as the RECONCILED balance on the checkbook ledger.  The bank
> does not have any information with regard to "uncleared" checks and
> deposits.  The bank statement only carries forward deposits and checks which
> have cleared.  In reconciling a Bank statement with a checkbook ledger, it
> has always been my experience, that the Ending balance on the BANK
> statements is the BEGINNING Balance on the RECONCILIATION of bookkeeping.

Have you looked at the helpful post that David Carlson posted on Friday
evening?

If the ending balance of your January Statement is not the same as the
ending "reconciled balance" from the result of the January reconcilation
process, then you've somehow accidentally unreconciled something.

Please look at what David wrote to help track down where the error
occurred.

I also recommend you perform an Actions -> Reset Warnings, in case you
accidentally put GnuCash into a state where it wont warn you if you try
to modify a reconciled transaction.